Do you want to make your skincare routine more sustainable but aren’t sure how? Well, you’re in luck! We’ve compiled a list of seven easy ways that you can make your skincare routine more eco-friendly.
From using natural ingredients to reducing the amount of packaging, these tips will help you make small changes that have a big impact. Let’s get right into it!
Most people don’t think twice about the ingredients in their skincare products. However, if you’re looking to make your routine more sustainable, it’s important to pay attention to what’s going into your products.
Many conventional skincare products contain unsustainable ingredients like palm oil, plastic microbeads, and synthetic fragrances. These ingredients can have a detrimental effect on the environment, and they’re often not necessary for the product to work effectively.
On the other hand, there are plenty of sustainable ingredients that can be used in natural skincare products. Plant-based oils and butters, like coconut oil and Shea butter, are great alternatives to conventional oils. Natural exfoliants like jojoba beads or ground coffee beans are also gentle on the environment and your skin.
When you’re shopping for organic skincare products, take a moment to read the ingredient label. If you see any unsustainable ingredients, consider finding a more sustainable alternative.
It takes a lot of water to produce the skincare aesthetic products we use every day. In fact, it takes about 2,400 gallons of water to make just one gallon of face cream. So, when we waste water during our skincare routines, we’re actually wasting a valuable resource. Plus, when we do our skincare routines, we usually let the water run freely without ever considering the fact that it has a negative impact on our environment. Here are some quick tips on how to preserve water:
- Use a basin or bowl instead of running the tap when cleansing your face. Simply fill the basin with water and use a clean cloth to wash your face. You can also save water by using less cleanser – just put a pea-sized amount on your fingertips and work it into your skin.
- Don’t let the water run while you’re shaving. Wet your skin and razor first, then turn off the tap until you’re ready to rinse.
- When exfoliating, use dry brushes or sugar scrubs that don’t require any water. If you do use a wet scrub, apply it to dry skin and then turn on the water just long enough to rinse it off.
- Invest in a quality moisturizer, so you don’t have to reapply as often. And, when you do moisturize, use just enough to cover your skin – there’s no need to slather it on.
When it comes to body hair removal, there are a few different options available. You can shave, you can use depilatory creams, or you can get laser hair removal. Out of these three choices, laser hair removal is the most sustainable option. Here’s why:
- You don’t have to keep buying new products – With shaving and depilatory creams, you have to keep buying new products every time you run out. This means that there is a constant stream of packaging and waste being generated. With laser hair removal, however, you only need to find a good clinic. There are no ongoing costs or waste generation.
- It’s more efficient – Laser treatment is much more efficient than other methods of hair removal. This means that you can save time and effort in the long run. Shaving and depilatory creams can be quite time-consuming, and they often don’t give you a completely smooth finish. With laser hair removal, you can achieve smooth, long-lasting results in just a few sessions.
- It’s better for your skin – Laser hair removal is gentle on your body and doesn’t cause side effects like irritation or inflammation. This is in contrast to shaving and depilatory creams, which can often leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. If you have sensitive skin, laser hair removal is definitely the best option. Lasers completely shut down your hair follicle, which completely stops hair growth.
Overall, laser hair removal is the most sustainable FDA- approved choice for hair removal, and it’s suitable for all skin tones and types. It’s more efficient and gentle on your skin, and there are no ongoing costs or waste generation. If you’re looking for a permanent hair removal solution that works on all body areas like the upper lip and the bikini area, laser hair removal is the way to go.
Shopping from skincare brands that give back to planet earth is more sustainable for a number of reasons. First, these brands are typically more environmentally conscious and use sustainable practices in their manufacturing processes. This means that they have less of an impact on the environment overall.
Additionally, these cosmetic brands often support charitable causes related to environmental protection or sustainability like recycling plastic bottles, which furthers their commitment to making a positive difference. Plus, shopping from these brands supports the growth of the sustainable skin care industry, which is vital for creating long-term change. By supporting these businesses, we can help make the world a healthier and more sustainable place.
When it comes to cleansing your face, there are many different options available on the market today. Face wipes have become increasingly popular in recent years, but there is another option that is more sustainable and just as effective – face cleansing balms.
Face cleansing balms are made with natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin and won’t strip away its natural oils. This makes them ideal for those with sensitive skin or who are looking for a more natural option. Face wipes, on the other hand, often contain harsh chemicals and fragrances that can irritate the skin.
In addition to being more gentle on the skin, face cleansing balms are also more sustainable than face wipes. Face wipes typically come in single-use packaging that is not recyclable or biodegradable. Face cleansing balms, on the other hand, are often packaged in reusable or recycle-friendly containers.
When it comes to sustainable living, reusing and recycling are two of the most important things you can do. And when it comes to your skincare products, the same principles apply. Reusing eco-friendly packaging is a great way to reduce waste and help the environment. And it can also save you money in the long run. Here are some tips on how to reuse or recycle your skincare product containers:
- Clean out empty makeup bottles and use them as travel-sized containers for your favorite products.
- Recycle glass jars to store small items like beads, buttons, or nails.
- Buy from brands that offer refills. Lush is one example – they have a wide range of products that can be refilled at their stores. Kiehl’s also offers a limited selection of refillable products.
One small but impactful way to reduce your environmental footprint is to switch to reusable cotton pads and brushes. Cotton is a natural fiber that biodegrades quickly, making it a much more sustainable option than synthetic materials like polyester or nylon. Plus, by using reusable cotton pads and brushes instead of disposable ones, you’ll save money in the long run and cut down on waste.
While making small tweaks to your skincare routine can seem daunting, it’s important to remember that every little bit helps. By incorporating some of these tips into your daily or weekly routine, you can help make your beauty regimen more sustainable and reduce the amount of waste you produce each year. Have any other tips to share? Let us know in the comments below!